The birth of the Oulu Market Hall
Market trade flourished and was quite a significant form of trade in Oulu at the end of the 19th century. The idea of building a market hall was apparently inspired by the decisions made in Helsinki and Turku and due to stricter hygiene regulations. The matter was first raised in the city’s governing bodies in 1889. Architects Karl Lindahl and Walter Thomèn drew the neo-Gothic building. The cost estimate was FIM 13,200. However, no agreement was reached on the location and the construction project was left on ice for years.
After more than a decade of nuts, the city council made the decision to build a department store and meat inspection facility on its current site. The hall was completed in early 1901 and was inaugurated on May 1, 1901. However, traders protested the strict rules of procedure drawn up by the Monetary Commission and continued to trade outdoors. In the end, PJ Helsingius, the head of the Monetary Commission, ordered the newspaper Kaleva to start trading in the market hall on May 8, 1901, and ordered the soldiers of the armed imperial army to drive the merchants inside the hall.